Before writing I feel obligated to state that I am a spy film fanatic. Therefore, going into the cinema for the viewing of the 22nd installment in the Bond series, I was already guilty of Cognitive bias. That said, I will try to remain as objective as possible.
Needless to say, this film offers the viewer everything they could want in a classic Bond flick. There are exotic locations, beautiful Bond girls, dirty henchmen, double agents and enough fast-paced action and over-the-top stunts to keep you entertained and talking for days. As with many Bond epics, the opening scene leading up to the theme song was one of the best in the entire film. The story picks up right where Casino Royale left off with Bond on the run from villainous henchmen in his Aston Martin in a perfectly scripted car chase. Bond’s daring escape is the jumping off point for a film that moves at a frantic pace spanning 6 countries and keeping you on the edge of your seat until the final credits begin to roll. Not wanting to give too much of the plot away, I will just say that the film focuses on MI6’s attempt to gather information about a criminal organization knows as Quantum while also attempting to stop a French eco-terrorist who is attempting to restore a Bolivian dictator to power in order to gain control of this country’s natural resources. Sound like fun? It is!
To the detractors who criticize this film, citing its lack of classic Bond-isms and wit, I would point out that in rebooting the franchise, the creators of the film sought to redefine who Bond is, “-isms” and all. The producers have publicly stated that Bond is being reborn and will not be a “whole” character until the end of the next film. We are witnessing something that has been lacking in past Bond films: character development across installments. That said, I would ask detractors what could have made this film more “Bondish?” Except for the line “Bond, James Bond,” Daniel Craig’s portrayal of our favorite super-spy was more than on par with Brosnan, Dalton, or even Sean Connery. He seduced women with his British charm. He killed everyone in his path without remorse. He even jumped out of a plane with no parachute managing to land safely in a mine shaft which happened to be the holding area for Bolivia’s stolen water supply (A sequence which would only be feasible in a true Bond classic).
In conclusion, no matter what you have read about this movie, I urge you to go and see it with an open mind. Of course, if you are looking for a feasible plotline and deep characters, you will probably be a bit disappointed. However, who has ever gone to a Bond flick in search of these things. You go to see Bond to have fun and this films offers lots of it. For people still nostalgic for Sean Connery, you may feel that Daniel Craig does not live up to your expectations. That being said, I think what Craig has done better than any other Bond actor is to make the character his own. His Bond has a distinct personality and that is to be praised. Happy viewing and have a martini for me, shaken, not stirred.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment