Thursday, October 16, 2008

Joe the Plumber

I watched the debate last night and I can't believe how much effort McCain put into trying to make Joe the Plumber from Ohio look like the average hard-working American which would be robbed by the Obama tax plan.  It was matched only by the effort he put into showing us that he was hurt by Democrats labeling him as a racist.  But back to Joe.  Does McCain really believe that someone who makes over $250k/yr represents middle class America?  Are we really supposed to weep for Joe who, after paying his taxes under the Obama plan, will only take home $150k+?  I would like to see Joe plead his case before the woman who struggles to get along with $8/hr as a cashier who would see a tax break thanks to the Obama plan.  I will, however, admit outright that I am biased towards the Obama camp as far as economics go.  However, I am not alone seeing as how many leading economists and finance guru Warren Buffet also back the Obama plan recognizing that this is not the time for more tax cuts for the rich and for large corporations.  It is time for bottom up growth and a move to empower the middle class.  I think we are seeing the shortcomings of trickle-down economics and it is perhaps time to explore other avenues for growth.  I am not an outright Obama supporter but as far as economics go, he has me convinced.       

No comments: