Thursday, October 16, 2008
Buying the ticket to London
Why is there a point in every relationship when you come to a realization that you may be in the best thing in your life but in order to stay with that person you have to sacrifice a lot of yourself? Unfortunately, this has happened upon me more times than I would like to admit. Having a penchant for foreigners will do that to you. After being with an Italian for 3 years, she finally decided to move back to Europe and took a job in London, England. This was at a time in my life when I didn't know what I wanted. I knew that I loved her more than anything in the world. I knew that she was the person I wanted to grow old with...I just didn't know if I was ready to start growing old. She hounded me for months to marry her, to have a baby, to build a life together. I kept resisting being honest with her. Fear of what was ahead kept me from committing. Finally, the day had come when she had moved and I was on expedia planning my flight to be with her. I made all the clicks, planned the date, and arrived at the purchase screen. I wanted so bad to click the button which would solidify my life. Give me stability, a future, a wonderful girl... But I just couldn't do it. I quickly scoured the screen for the "x" in the upper-right hand corner and closed the page. The moment I did it I wanted to go back. I wanted to complete the purchase and fly into her arms. But I couldn't. I knew that the moment was gone and that I had made a choice which I could never go back from. I hadn't bought the ticket to London because of my insecurity and because of fear of the road ahead. I have regretted to this day that one moment in time. My selfishness that ended up hurting someone I loved more than the world. On that note I urge you dear readers (all 3 of you), the next time you get the chance, buy the ticket. Don't think about it. You can always often undo mistakes but you don't often get a second chance to make them.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment