Tuesday, October 7, 2008
The Debate...sort of
So I watched the debate tonight. It is nice to see that in the land of opportunity we don't even get to see the 3rd and 4th party candidates that have probably worked twice as hard as McCain or Obama to get where they are. That said, I guess the corporations have given us our choices and we should be content to at least get to choose between black or white. I say that because both of the candidates supported the recent bailout bill and, in my eyes, have shown that their true alliances are with Wall St. and with big business, and not with the American people no matter how much of a "maverick" or a "candidate for change" they may pretend to be. Listening to them speak, you would believe that the end of days would have been upon us had we not made sure that lenders who made bad investments were protected and that CEOs get their golden parachutes. (For a real candidate for change see Ron Paul's assessment of the bailout on Youtube.) But I digress. Back to the debate. I have to admit that as much as I despise John McCain he does sometimes seem to be the one who actually has concrete ideas about what he will do if he is elected President. The fact that I don't agree with many of his ideas is a different story. I thought that Obama, always the great orator, seemed to speak in generalities. However, it was nice to hear him repeat Joe Biden's statement that no one making less than $250,000/yr would see their taxes raised and that people making less than $200,000 would see a decrease in taxes. I am a firm believer that we have been using Reganomics to stimulate growth in this country for far too long and it is time to try to build from the ground up by putting more money into the hands of the middle class. That said, the ability of Senator Obama to keep this promise once in the White House remains to be seen. Both candidates seemed to be willing to look to subject matter experts for help in their administration. This was proven by them both mentioning Warren Buffett as a possible pick for Treasury Secretary. (Buffett is an Obama supporter.) All in all, I don't think either of the candidates won my vote tonight. I think I will continue to give my vote to whichever 3rd party candidate gets listed on the ballot in MO as a vote against the current 2 party system system. Bob Barr anyone?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment